For the cake:
3/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
Powdered sugar for rolling the cake
For the frosting:
5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup eggnog
1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter
1/2 tablespoon white rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
For the glaze: 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons eggnog
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper or foil. Spray foil/parchment paper with cooking spray.
2. Beat 3 eggs and 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl until combined. Stir in 2 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
3. In another bowl, whisk 3/4 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp cloves.
4. Gradually combine dry ingredients with wet to form a batter. Do not overmix.
5. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 9-10 minutes. While the cake bakes, prepare a powdered sugar-dusted towel.
6. After baking, flip the cake onto the towel, roll it up, and let it cool for a few hours.
7. While it cools, make frosting by beating butter, adding powdered sugar, rum, and eggnog.
8. Once cooled, unroll the cake, frost it, and roll it up again.
9. Create a glaze with powdered sugar and eggnog, pour over the cake, sprinkle with cinnamon, and let it set before slicing and serving.
Whether enjoyed as a delightful afternoon tea treat or as a show-stopping dessert for special occasions, this cinnamon cake roll is sure to please with its perfect blend of sweetness and spice. Its versatility allows for countless variations in fillings and toppings, making it a delightful dessert that can be enjoyed by all.